Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Short and sweet...I'm not

I tend to ramble sometimes and that's what I'm doing today.

I've been busy, for once. For a few years now I haven't had to travel to any kind of job for work. Hubby and I are fortunate we can be comfortable with his income alone. Actually, I've not been employed full-time since 2004, when I was a librarian/library branch manager. My last job was working part-time at a horse facility from summer '04 to winter '07. My life plan didn't necessarily include not being gainfully employed, at age fifty,I had planned on becoming an elementary teacher, that was my training back in the '80s. But, as we all know, after dwelling a few years in the adult world, life has a way of moving down different roads and away from our original plan. It's up to us to choose which route is best. I love this little gem: We plan, God laughs. Something like that. I have no regrets.


Anyway, the past weekend saw both Hubby and I on the road and putting down miles. Saturday we headed to a few out of the way places with a little Christmas shopping in mind and a gun show on the way home. Saturday night, our oldest son called asking if Hubby could help him replace a broken brake line on his truck. A deer attempted to cross the road in front of him, typical this time of year, but as Son put on his brakes, the truck kept going. Fortunately Son wasn't hurt. He's not sure about the deer. Besides the brake line, the front grill and headlights were obliterated. Son's truck is a '90somethning Chevy S10 he's trying to keep running until he can afford something else. The incident could have been much worse had the brakes gone out at another time in another place. I believe his guardian  angel was flying with him that evening. So, Sunday was spent at our son's place, about fifty miles northeast of us. Our daughter-in-law fixed a fantastic dinner for us, which was much appreciated though not expected. I enjoyed spending time talking with her. She's a busy lady and I'm so proud of her for many reasons. Though I've known our daughter-in-law since she was a young girl, there's a lot I still don't know about her and enjoyed that she wanted to share her thoughts and ambitions with her mother-in-law on a quiet Sunday afternoon.


By Monday morning, Hubby and I were both tired, unfortunately, he had to go to his job. I do feel guilty about that at times. I remind him, his time will come and I may be the one heading out the door while he gets to do his own thing at home around our little farm. OR, maybe we'll win the lottery and we can both just spend time here at the farm!


Then, yesterday, I took my mom to some stores just to try to get the Christmas feel. I actually detest Christmas shopping in general. Most of my gifts are purchased online. I thought Mom should get out. This is a tough time of year with my dad gone and even though she tries to act like she's OK, I know it's a painful time. Well, that trip was another fifty mile jaunt north. Any time I need to shop for anything, it usually involves a 30-60 minute drive, unless I just want to check out the Dollar Store or Post Office in my little village. I really don't think it's a town though it is listed on the map.

Basically, random thoughts on a dreary, half snow/half rainy day. Not so short and sweet because I guess my mind doesn't run that way. I'm trying to get into the holiday mode, but quite honestly, I'm not that into it. I'm not a Grinch, or Scrooge, but I've found the feeling has to be worked on the older I get. So, back to working on that holiday cheer!




No comments: