Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

This will be my first Father's Day without my dad. I had him with me for 48 years of my life and I treasure every one of them.

I've always liked this quote: "Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a DAD."  So true, and this was my dad, all the way through.

I was his only daughter, his only child. We had a special bond. I finally figured out recently what that was and it was unconditional love. He was, and always will be, my hero in my eyes. I feel blessed to have had such a wonderful Dad.

So, on this special day for many people, if you have a special Dad or Gran-dad in your life, tell them how much they mean to you.

This is the first year in my adult life I have not made a rhubarb pie for my dad on Father's Day. His mother made him rhubarb pies when he was a kid and even into his adulthood. They were his favorite. I know my rhubarb pies could not have been as good as hers, but Dad always told me they were delicious. I doubt he would have told me they were awful, even if they had been.

I miss you Dad. You are forever in my heart! 

No comments: